Author Topic: xp service pack 3  (Read 4183 times)

[SJ]dunki2001

  • *
xp service pack 3
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:11:47 am »
Chaps shall i install it or not?

unregistered copy of xp on 2nd pc.. Mmmm  has any of you popped it in?

Dunki thumbs up

[SJ]Byron

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 09:16:50 am »
I popped it in.

It's not a scientific analysis, but...  I was running SP1 and it very rarely crashed and I never saw the blue screen of death.  But, lots of stuff wouldn't run on SP1 so I got a new HD and installed a new OS with SP3.

Have to say, the whole thing is a lot less stable now.  I haven't tracked down the problem yet, but there's definitely a spanner in the works somewhere.

I'm thinking, if you're not having issues with SP2 - stick with that.

 :)

[SJ]Cato Larsen

  • God of rFactor
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 09:30:22 am »
AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaand that is xactly what I do :)

[SJ]CasparGTL

  • rFactor Test Driver
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 10:29:18 am »
Thanks very much for the info Byron.  :hats off:

[SJ]Byron

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:35:01 am »
There's lots of folk running SP3 without problems.  It's just the 'if it ain't broke...' rule is especially true with PCs, I reckon.

 :)

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:35:50 am »
Never had major issues with any XP service packs, jolly roger version of the OS or not. All flavors of XP too. Install away I say, then reformat and reinstall if you have problems. How's that for a deffinitive answer lol. I can't believe I get paid to do this stuff.     :ner ner: :hats off:

I do not however get paid to spell. Sheesh.

EDIT:  There isn't really anything new or obviously usefull in SP3, at best it just makes an easier process of getting all the updates post SP2. It isn't necessary to get those updates tho, you can decline SP3 and get em seperatly. Anything post SP3 may need it installed though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:46:06 am by [SJ]kramer5 »

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:02:04 am »
Mr. Kramer has hit the nail on the head.

The only reason I installed it was when I did my last routine windows re-install, purely for the convenience of getting most of the xp updates in one package. I've had no problems with it so far.

[SJ]Pierre61

  • Master of Ceremonies
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:21:36 pm »
It fried my wife's AMD machine, but no issues on my Intel one ... so... I'd be 'cautious' if you are AMD.

[SJ]GT_Raycer

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 01:41:30 pm »
I'm running an Athlon 64 dual core with XP SP3 and no problems.  :)

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 03:12:18 pm »
all sp3 adds is a load of DRM crap, cant even copy your own CDs with it installed.  thumbs down

[SJ]DaveGardner

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »
i've been running it for a few months and i find my system more stable than ever TBH, which is contradictive to Byrons findings.

Dave

[SJ]2shedz

  • Catering Consultant
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 05:36:21 pm »
Ive been running it for a few months as well and just to add balance to Lord B and Dave's comments i haven't noticed any difference at all  :twit:
:ted:

[SJ]dunki2001

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 05:49:15 pm »
Cheers for comments chaps,

running sp2 ok so prob stick with that. Shall i turn off auto updates?

dunki (learning all the time)
 smackeroo

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 06:03:10 pm »
to clarify i asked a PC engineer friend about SP3 a few weeks back here is some of his reply...  :dont look now:
That's without going into the nasty DRM that happens to nero and various rip/copy/burn/convert programs.
I don't run xp here at all so I can only go by what I see when I get called out to look at a malfunctioning machine in use elsewhere. I see "licence required" errors with WMP when attempting to play an mp3 ripped from a cd there and then.. and refusing to burn audio cd's from anythiong and with anything but the xp built in crap... then chucking the same "Licence required" or "invalid filetype" or "maybe missing codec.. want to search M$ for it?" errors.. and on machines that were working perfectly right before the update.

So it looks to me very like a DRM and validation update, and nothing to do with improvements or security (which is a joke on a 7 year old OS anyway.. you can't patch a turd, but you can make a new one.. as M$ know well)

[SJ]Byron

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 06:33:46 pm »
Quote from: Dave
...which is contradictive to Byrons findings.

Hmm...  Byron's Findings could be an interesting thread for Spamanation - or possibly Bar Fights!

 lol

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 07:21:23 pm »
Shall i turn off auto updates?

 most defiantly sir IMO
just grab the critical updates manually when required. btw micro$oft no longer supports windows XP, has given up on vista i hear.
Windows 7 is the future apparently  :tut:

[SJ]DenDanger

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 07:42:52 pm »
I popped it in.

It's not a scientific analysis, but...  I was running SP1 and it very rarely crashed and I never saw the blue screen of death.  But, lots of stuff wouldn't run on SP1 so I got a new HD and installed a new OS with SP3.

Have to say, the whole thing is a lot less stable now.  I haven't tracked down the problem yet, but there's definitely a spanner in the works somewhere.

I'm thinking, if you're not having issues with SP2 - stick with that.

 :)

 Oh man. I just realized. After all day yesterday crashing. I had the auto update add it the night before! Oh crap!. LOL.

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 07:58:20 pm »
Shall i turn off auto updates?

 most defiantly sir IMO
btw micro$oft no longer supports windows XP,

Where did you get this? The no longer manufacture XP, and mainstream support is retired, but in June 2008 they announced extended support and updates untill 2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173
http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208800494
http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/comment/microsoft-to-offer-windows-xp-support-till-2014/

[SJ]DenDanger

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:35 pm »
Possibly he is talking about not long before that, they had announced quite the opposite, that they were stopping support early for XP forcing people to buy Vista. I suspect the backlash may have changed their minds.

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 09:01:36 pm »
ah so they changed there tune after a backlash, so do you really think that after they had counted all the cash they would have saved by not supporting it, they just said hey lets not save that cash and support it again? sure they will release updates but only because they feel forced by people, IMO XP is no longer supported. auto updates turned on is asking for trouble too.

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 09:06:05 pm »
[...]

That was an interesting read and I'm not doubting your friend's experiences but it prompted me to try it out for myself.

It seems to me that the machines he was talking about must have been pretty much trashed anyway. If that is only part of the troubles he's describing, I find it hard to believe that it can all be attributed to simply installing a service pack. One or two glitches maybe, but not all that.

Here's what I found so far:

I just took one of my cd's and ripped and burned it with Nero and played it back with media player 11 (and good old winamp) with no problems whatsoever. I'm now in the process of ripping one of my movie dvd's. I have no reason to believe that I won't be able to burn it with my usual burning software (not media player) and play it back through Power DVD, and all on my creaky old antique AMD machine too. I'll let you know how that goes.

Incidentally, call me paranoid but I've never ever used automatic updates simply because I like to update manually and pick and choose what I install on my machine without Microsoft presuming to install what they think I need! Just my take on it. :dunno:

Like anything else there'll be pro's and cons and no two machines are identical, and even if they're identical on the hardware side, I'll guarantee they'll be configured differently and running a whole different variety of software. Basically anything can cause problems.

There will always be two camps in any discussion, so if you still want to try it, make sure you back up anything important first - just in case. You know it makes sense  ;)

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:22:08 pm »
nice one for testing my mates theorum Tim.  thumbs up
while your at it can you point to anything that has actually improved from sp2 any new features?
owt usefull at all?
 or does it just say sp3 in control panel\system and that's enough to make us all feel updated and safe  :biggrin:  :hats off:

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 09:38:42 pm »
nice one for testing my mates theorum Tim.  thumbs up

Anytime  :)

while your at it can you point to anything that has actually improved from sp2 any new features?
owt usefull at all?

Hmm, not that I've noticed really. It all seems pretty much as it was pre SP3. Having said that, as long as everything's running smoothly I don't generally take much notice. It's only when I want to do something and it starts complaining at me that I actually start rummaging around lol. Of course, as Sp3 comes in at over 300mb I suppose there must be something new in it.

or does it just say sp3 in control panel\system and that's enough to make us all feel updated and safe  :biggrin:  :hats off:

Well, yes it does say Sp3 now instead of Sp2. I suppose that's meant to make us think we're now all warm and cosy and safe - "COUGH,COUGH,
COUGH!!!!"

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2008, 09:44:18 pm »
300mb!!! you wanna watch out before you know it mr branson with be traffic managing your ass!
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php  :jawdrop:

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 10:01:51 pm »
It's well known that we are not, and never have been getting what we pay for, but at least it's now official - they've finally admitted it  lol

I wonder how quickly they'd send me an email if i throttled my payment on a sliding scale to suit the service I recieve at any given time?

I bet that would shoot down the FAT PIPE at an extaordinary velocity, rofl

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:50 pm »
The ony new thing I've noticed when using a Disk with SP3 included is the key less install feature. Big deal really, but then again they never said SP3 was going to include anything much in the way of new stuff. Just a simpler way to apply all the updates since SP2. I don't see what they could really add that it isn't doing currently really. Unless they tried to make a vista hybrid out of it or something, bleh. The rest of the stuff was all about interacting with the server OS's and other stuff I'd never use. Must be important to someone, somewhere.

I like XP, almost always have. I've installed it and supported it since it came out and after the release of SP1 even began to use it mylsef lol. Like anything it took a little learning, and I've had some issues with it, mostly caused by me or my habbits. $100 bux, 6 years of use, not bad to me.

BTW I copied a little more of your post than I meant to. I totally agree about auto updates. I can count on one hand the amount of PC's that have left my shop with it enabled, on any os ever. And on the ones that had it on, the owners would kill the machine much faster than a dud patch lol.

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:47 pm »
HAHAHA @ payment throttling. Excellent concept. I shall enact it next time at the grocery store, to offset the price of the imported vaccum stored fruit that overripens in one evening, and the fresh beef that has all the flavor of a rice cake.

[SJ]dunki2001

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:35 pm »
ok then, auto updates off and manual update.. but what do i update ? just security risks? or more. :can of worms:

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 11:00:07 pm »

[SJ]MrDee

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:51 am »
Just as a note:
   I have been unhappy with the way my compute has been running the last month or so. I restored back to before sp3 update. Legends is better and will have to wait for next league event for rfactor.
 I will update if I see a difference.

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
HAHAHA @ payment throttling. Excellent concept. I shall enact it next time at the grocery store, to offset the price of the imported vaccum stored fruit that overripens in one evening, and the fresh beef that has all the flavor of a rice cake.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean there. It's a disgrace. Another thing too - when you next buy bacon, just make sure it's DRY CURED. Mrs Riv got some bacon the other day and it was foul. It looked ok but when she put it under the grill it shrank to the size of a pea and tasted awful. That's because any meat can have 10% water added to it to bulk it up and that's before the producers even have to state that water is added at all. So if you see a meat product that has water stipulated as an ingredient then you know that it is way more than 10%. See this link if you want to be put off food for good.

http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/latest_watermeat_apr05.htm

Anyway, I got some dry cured smoked back bacon and hallelujah!! Bacon like it used to be. Yumm :)

Hmm, I think we're a bit off topic now,  lol

@Riv had a good ol chinwag with a very nice scouse fellow at the tech help call centre today. im not being traffic managed which is what i was accusing them of. turns out far worse than that! the cable im on has been over subscribed(high TX load as they like to call it) since February. the fault according to their system was due to be fixed in 3 days.

I'm not surprised at the oversubscription thing. They just want to rake in the cash and worry about how to cope with demand later - very much like the car phone warehouse jerks. Fixed in three days? Hehe, yeah right. lol

Yeah I've been on that roundabout more times than I'd like to recall. I've had the refunds too. The trouble is its a lot of time and trouble to do it. Of course its that way deliberately so that most people won't bother. I like the terminology too - First line, second line etc etc. What do they think it is - Rorke's feckin' Drift? Just get me to the guy who's pulling all the strings of the idiots reading off the standard answer sheets on the front lines. They should know by now that I'm going to end up there anyway. I'd be interested to know how you get on with their CEO .

funneyist thing is i phoned day before and got through to India, nice fellow told me there was problem in my area and would be fixed by 9am...
told scouser that, hes nearly swallowed his tongue laughing, yes 9am February 1st not October 1st.

 rofl rofl rofl Wonderful isn't it? Customer service? Should be Customer Fob off. They are just there to act as front line defence (might as well use their terminology) to try to get rid of any complainants as quickly as possible before it starts costing them refunds.

All that's without even mentioning the 20+ minutes of recorded phone options telling you how wonderful they are and press button #1 for the billing department or #9 for fish and chips etc.

Oh, btw - that movie rip and burn I started last night worked just fine. It was one of my Das Boot disks.

Hmm, all that's made me hungry. I'm off for a nice dry cured bacon butty :)

[SJ]ski9600

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 12:44:09 am »
Ive been running it for a few months as well and just to add balance to Lord B and Dave's comments i haven't noticed any difference at all  :twit:
:ted:

+1 karma

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 04:02:21 pm »
hi time little update for you, the letter didnt work as i got no reply. but i found an email address for a head bloke in Manchesters office complaints department. Neil.Berkett@virginmedia.co.uk i sent this message to him...