Author Topic: xp service pack 3  (Read 4171 times)

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2008, 10:03:50 pm »
The ony new thing I've noticed when using a Disk with SP3 included is the key less install feature. Big deal really, but then again they never said SP3 was going to include anything much in the way of new stuff. Just a simpler way to apply all the updates since SP2. I don't see what they could really add that it isn't doing currently really. Unless they tried to make a vista hybrid out of it or something, bleh. The rest of the stuff was all about interacting with the server OS's and other stuff I'd never use. Must be important to someone, somewhere.

I like XP, almost always have. I've installed it and supported it since it came out and after the release of SP1 even began to use it mylsef lol. Like anything it took a little learning, and I've had some issues with it, mostly caused by me or my habbits. $100 bux, 6 years of use, not bad to me.

BTW I copied a little more of your post than I meant to. I totally agree about auto updates. I can count on one hand the amount of PC's that have left my shop with it enabled, on any os ever. And on the ones that had it on, the owners would kill the machine much faster than a dud patch lol.

[SJ]kramer5

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:47 pm »
HAHAHA @ payment throttling. Excellent concept. I shall enact it next time at the grocery store, to offset the price of the imported vaccum stored fruit that overripens in one evening, and the fresh beef that has all the flavor of a rice cake.

[SJ]dunki2001

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2008, 10:39:35 pm »
ok then, auto updates off and manual update.. but what do i update ? just security risks? or more. :can of worms:

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 11:00:07 pm »

[SJ]MrDee

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:51 am »
Just as a note:
   I have been unhappy with the way my compute has been running the last month or so. I restored back to before sp3 update. Legends is better and will have to wait for next league event for rfactor.
 I will update if I see a difference.

[SJ]Rivet

  • The Engineer
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
HAHAHA @ payment throttling. Excellent concept. I shall enact it next time at the grocery store, to offset the price of the imported vaccum stored fruit that overripens in one evening, and the fresh beef that has all the flavor of a rice cake.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean there. It's a disgrace. Another thing too - when you next buy bacon, just make sure it's DRY CURED. Mrs Riv got some bacon the other day and it was foul. It looked ok but when she put it under the grill it shrank to the size of a pea and tasted awful. That's because any meat can have 10% water added to it to bulk it up and that's before the producers even have to state that water is added at all. So if you see a meat product that has water stipulated as an ingredient then you know that it is way more than 10%. See this link if you want to be put off food for good.

http://www.foodcomm.org.uk/latest_watermeat_apr05.htm

Anyway, I got some dry cured smoked back bacon and hallelujah!! Bacon like it used to be. Yumm :)

Hmm, I think we're a bit off topic now,  lol

@Riv had a good ol chinwag with a very nice scouse fellow at the tech help call centre today. im not being traffic managed which is what i was accusing them of. turns out far worse than that! the cable im on has been over subscribed(high TX load as they like to call it) since February. the fault according to their system was due to be fixed in 3 days.

I'm not surprised at the oversubscription thing. They just want to rake in the cash and worry about how to cope with demand later - very much like the car phone warehouse jerks. Fixed in three days? Hehe, yeah right. lol

Yeah I've been on that roundabout more times than I'd like to recall. I've had the refunds too. The trouble is its a lot of time and trouble to do it. Of course its that way deliberately so that most people won't bother. I like the terminology too - First line, second line etc etc. What do they think it is - Rorke's feckin' Drift? Just get me to the guy who's pulling all the strings of the idiots reading off the standard answer sheets on the front lines. They should know by now that I'm going to end up there anyway. I'd be interested to know how you get on with their CEO .

funneyist thing is i phoned day before and got through to India, nice fellow told me there was problem in my area and would be fixed by 9am...
told scouser that, hes nearly swallowed his tongue laughing, yes 9am February 1st not October 1st.

 rofl rofl rofl Wonderful isn't it? Customer service? Should be Customer Fob off. They are just there to act as front line defence (might as well use their terminology) to try to get rid of any complainants as quickly as possible before it starts costing them refunds.

All that's without even mentioning the 20+ minutes of recorded phone options telling you how wonderful they are and press button #1 for the billing department or #9 for fish and chips etc.

Oh, btw - that movie rip and burn I started last night worked just fine. It was one of my Das Boot disks.

Hmm, all that's made me hungry. I'm off for a nice dry cured bacon butty :)

[SJ]ski9600

  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2008, 12:44:09 am »
Ive been running it for a few months as well and just to add balance to Lord B and Dave's comments i haven't noticed any difference at all  :twit:
:ted:

+1 karma

[SJ]DRokK

  • Sultan De Alfatina
  • *
Re: xp service pack 3
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 04:02:21 pm »
hi time little update for you, the letter didnt work as i got no reply. but i found an email address for a head bloke in Manchesters office complaints department. Neil.Berkett@virginmedia.co.uk i sent this message to him...